Crown Chakra – Sahasrara – Seventh Chakra
The Crown chakra is the seventh chakra, which is located at the top of the head or crown. The gift of the Sahasrara is experiencing unity and a selfless realization that everything and everyone is connected at a fundamental level and that there is a cosmic order to it all. The Crown chakra moves us beyond limitations of the ego, time and space. It is the portal to enlightenment.
The energy of this chakra allows us to experience mystical oneness with nature, animals, people, places, as well as with infinite intelligence. It is the crown chakra that is most activated when we experience those moments of extreme clarity, psychic hits, channeling and being in “the zone.”
There is no intellectual knowing at the level of seventh chakra. It’s more of a mindful and heartfelt awareness. It is here where you sense inspiration, serenity, joy, guidance and deep peace. It’s where you experience a profound knowing that there exists a deeper meaning to life and that there is an underlying order for all existence.
According to Tantric philosophy, the seventh chakra is both a receiver and giver of energy and consciousness. It receives universal energy to sustain life and it gives back personal energy to unite with the collective consciousness.
It is the meeting point between finite (the body and the ego) and infinite (the Universe and soul). It is the place where time and timelessness intersect and where death and eternal life meet.
For eons, mankind has constructed many creative ways to access and enhance the realizations and insights that the Crown chakra provide us, including meditation, prayer, rituals, drugs and alcohol. These vehicles lift the sometimes cumbersome veil of humanity to temporarily bring us closer to that divine connection we all crave.
When we realize that everything is interconnected and that we are part of the larger scheme of life, we begin to live with gratitude, faith and trust, rather than with fear and anxiety. We are guided by a higher power, spiritual impulses and we feel divine guidance from within and all around us. Activating our Crown chakra by focusing on beauty, for example, feels wonderfully euphoric and can be achieved frequently with a mindful practice.
The challenge of this chakra is to liberate the spirit and be receptive to divine wisdom, while simultaneously remain grounded in our humanity. This is the cosmic dance of our human condition. We will experience moments of pure joy, ecstasy, enlightenment and total clarity. It will ebb and it will flow. Enjoy the ride!
Crown Chakra at a glance:
- Sanskrit name: Sahasrara
- Element: No element
- Color: Violet or white
- Petals of the lotus: One thousand
- Seed sound: Ah
- Vowel sound: Ngngng
- Rights: To know and to learn
- Endocrine gland: Pineal gland
- Physical association: Central nervous system, cerebral cortex
- Psychological function: Awareness, understanding
- Identity: Universal identity
- Developmental stage: Throughout life
- Challenge: Attachment
- Plane: Truth, reality
- Planets: Uranus
- Deity: The guru within
- Mythological Animal: Eagle
- Tarot: High Priestess, Swords
Crown Chakra Affirmations
- I am part of the Divine
- I honor the Divine within me
- I seek to understand and to learn from my life experiences
- I cherish my spirit
- I seek experiences that nourish my spirit
- I listen to the wisdom of Universe
- I trust my intuition
- I am open to letting go of my attachments
- I live in the present moment
- I am grateful for all the goodness in my life
- I love and accept myself
- I know that all is well in my world
- I am connected with the wisdom of the Universe
- My life moves with grace
- I am at peace
- I am receptive to inspiration
Essential Oils for the Crown Chakra
- Anise Seed
- Palo Santo
Exercises to open and strengthen the Crown Chakra
- Being in nature
- Sex, intimacy
- Listening to good music
Foods for a healthy Crown Chakra
- Indigo or dark bluish colored foods, such as blueberries, eggplant, plums
- Strong herbs and spices that excite the senses, such as ginger, chili peppers, rosemary, lavender
- Caffeine and dark chocolate
- Beverages, such as red wines, grape juice, and herbal teas, like mint, star anise, eyebright, gotu kola, mugwort and lavender